Greetings to lovers of the written word and the silver screen.
In honor of veteran writer Heywood Gould’s newest novel, Green Light for Murder, we’re holding contest to test your movie smarts and your writing chops.
Mr. Gould has described a few of his favorite movie scenes and come up with some questions about said scenes. It’s up to you to provide some deep and profound answers. You may submit answers to more than one question, but only one answer per movie question, please.
1. In the movie Boys of Brazil, Nazi hunter Lieberman allows 95 Hitler clones to live. Outline a sequel in which his grandson tracks a 21st century Hitler. What has he become? What is his threat? How is he stopped?
2. In the movie Cocktail, Doug Coughlin (Bryan Brown) propounds a series of laws (Coughlin’s Laws) which contain his philosophy of life:
- Always make the first drink strong.
- Always carry a lighter, even if you don’t smoke.
- Never spit at a woman, she will only spit right back.
- If it is worth doing, it’s worth doing right.
- If you can’t trouble them with truth, battle them with bullshit.
- Last call is never last call.
- You are not in it for the money, you are in it for the fun.
- Always make the tip jars obvious.
- The bigger the fool, the better the tips.
- There is no such thing as too much.
- The last one, always means a few more.
- When it comes to music, always play what you feel.
- When in doubt, drink tequila.
- When making love to a woman, always have Baileys and Swiss chocolate on hand.
- Always keep at deck of cards behind the bar.
- It’s not what you did, it’s what you remember.
- Learn something new every day.
- Never put chairs behind the bar.
- Never let friends behind the bar.
- The brain is dead, the liver is shot, but the spirits keep on flowing.
- Always keep your eyes on the dames.
- If at first you didn’t succeed, drink and try again.
- Don’t drink more than you are able to walk to your car.
- Always have a flower handy for a lady.
- When making love to a man, just make sure you are naked.
- Never tell tales about a woman no matter how far away she is, she’ll always hear you.
- Never show surprise, never lose your cool.
- Coughlin’s diet: cocktails and dreams.
- Falling down the stairs is allowed!
- Beer is for breakfast around here, drink or be gone.
Add three laws to the list under your own name.
Prizes include autographed copies of Green Light for Murder, and some other movie related goodies.
Submit your final entries to publicityATtyrusbooks.com with GREEN LIGHT FOR MURDER in the subject line. We’ll forward them along as needed.